RFU CORE VALUES
Revision Date: 15th October 2018
Introducing young people to the values of rugby union will provide a mindset that will stretch beyond participation in the sport. Much of the behaviour and attitudes that have defined rugby union are highly regarded both within and outside the sport. Regardless of any adverse changes in society, the RFU work hard to protect and promote the game’s fundamental elements for the next generation.
Qualities we believe Rugby Union provides:
TEAMWORK RESPECT ENJOYMENT DISCIPLINE SPORTSMANSHIP
Teamwork is essential to our sport.
- We welcome all new team members and include all because working as a team enriches our lives.
- We play selflessly: working for the team, not for ourselves alone, both on and off the field.
- We take pride in our team, rely on one another and understand that each player has a part to play.
- We speak out if our team or sport is threatened by inappropriate words or actions.
Mutual respect forms the basis of our sport.
- We hold in high esteem our sport, its values and traditions and earn the respect of others by the way we behave.
- We respect our match officials and accept their decisions.
- We respect opposition players and supporters.
- We value our coaches and those who run our clubs and treat clubhouses with consideration
Enjoyment is the reason we play and support rugby union.
- We encourage players to enjoy training and playing.
- We use our sport to adopt a healthy lifestyle and build life skills.
- We safeguard our young players and help them have fun.
- We enjoy being part of a team and part of the rugby family because it enhances confidence and self-esteem.
Strong discipline underpins our sport.
- We ensure that our sport is one of controlled physical endeavour and that we are honest and fair.
- We obey the ‘Laws of the Game’ which ensure an inclusive and exciting global game.
- We support our disciplinary system, which protects our sport and upholds its values.
- We observe the sport’s Laws and regulations and report serious breaches.
Sportsmanship is the foundation rugby union is built upon.
- We uphold the rugby tradition of camaraderie with team mates and opposition.
- We observe fair play both on and off the pitch and are generous in victory and dignified in defeat.
- We play to win but not at all costs and recognise both endeavour and achievement.
- We ensure that the wellbeing and development of individual players is central to all rugby activity.